Having a say is a right:
Children have the right to say what they think should happen, when adults are making decisions that affect them, and to have their opinions taken into account.
Student Voice and School Executive Committee
To allow each member of the school community to have a voice
To improve the whole school experience for students
Student Voice Executive Committee
The Executive Committee exists to give each student a voice. It promotes whole school improvement through student involvement.
This year (2019-2020) the Executive Committee has grown: In the previous years we had no more than 35 members but this year there are over 90 members.
Throughout the academic year the Committee will be discussing matters of importance to the students of KJS.
So far this year Student Voice has elected the Executive Committee; elected Tutor representatives; organised voting and suggestions; taken part in youth election; launched the environmental project; presented at assemblies to celebrate Black History month; taken part in Parliament week; raised the profile of Student Voice; started peer mentoring; raised money for their chosen charity over Christmas; emailed messages to whole school cohort sharing the information; launched the suggestions stand and suggestion box; launched ‘You said: we did and met fortnightly to discuss what is important to the students at KJS.
The Student Voice Committee and learners at The King John School have had a successful few years with many achievements:
• Student Voice Elections (each year)
• Core Values Project
• Environment Project
• Black History Month presentation
• Youth Parliament elections
• Emailing list for information to whole school
• ‘You said, we did’ initiative
• Post box for well-being and suggestions
• Anti-bullying Poetry Competition during Anti-Bullying week
• YOPEY Awards
• Jack Petchey Awards for Students
• Gospel Choir performed at the Royal Opera House
• Our World Assembly
• Hopefield Animal Sanctuary Trip
• Charity Shoe Box appeal (16 boxes made by Student Voice)
• Jack Petchey Speak Out challenge
• Jack Petchey Regional Final hosted by KJS
• Catering: Student Voice Executive members involved in taster sessions
• Poppy Appeal
• Student Voice Wellbeing Surveys
• Parliament Week
• Christmas collection for HARP
• Discussion regarding culture and what’s important to the students
• Nomination for student of Parliament Week
• Book Display for World Book Day
• Equaliteas Event
Sixth Form Student Voice 2018-2020
• Sixth form magazine
• London Business trip
• Christmas charity
• Lower School listeners
• SV Core Value Project
• Mooting Competition
• African Dance class
• Gospel Choir
• Peer Mentoring
• Easter Charity
• Environmental ideas
• Lower school mentoring
Staff and students have been proactive in providing all the students at The King John School a voice.
Look out for the Student Voice Suggestion Post Box in the main Foyer.
Students can pop any ideas, thoughts and suggestions into the box and these will be collected and discussed at the student voice meetings.